Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Larry Gonick


A friend suggested I read his copy of "The Cartoon History of the Universe: Volume III" by Harvard graduate and accomplished cartoonist, Larry Gonick. I read the book and thoroughly enjoyed it. I have since picked up Gonick's "The Cartoon History of the Modern World: Volume I" and am tearing through that book as well. Gonick has written ambitious and incredibly entertaining books on history, science, sex, computers, the environment, etc. for about thirty years. Check out http://larrygonick.com for more. The two books I've read offer immense amounts of information and are consistently engaging. I now have the urge to read all of his books as I feel they will provide me with the kind of background knowledge/context I missed/never got. This quote from Gonick sums up his mission and the spirit of his cartoon texts: "Since 1972, I’ve been creating comics that explain history, science, and other big subjects. Why such heavy stuff? Because I’ve made it my mission to bring people the information they need to make wise decisions about the future of the human community. I’m only trying to save the world here!"

1 comment:

Ms. Feldman said...

perhaps this is book club material?