Tuesday, April 1, 2008

A Strange Coincidence

Today, while listening to my iPod on shuffle on the T, I discovered that in the song “Ain’t Nothing Like the Real Thing” Tammi Terrell croons “Oh, Marvin” during the final chorus; I had always thought she said “Oh, darlin’.” I’m not sure why, but this realization made me choke up a bit - maybe because it sounds so unscripted and heartfelt.

When I got to my office, I searched Marvin Gaye/Tammi Terrell on wikipedia and found that Marvin Gaye died 24 years ago today - and, tomorrow would have been his 69th birthday.

3 comments:

joshua francis said...

I've never noticed that before; I'll have to listen as soon as I get home today.

Marvin and Tammi is the saddest soul story ever.

Maureen Gillespie said...

It's right around when there is 25 seconds left of the song.

Alex Kotce said...

What a tragedy. Imagine being shot and killed by your own father? The details surrounding the murder are a little ambiguous amongst multiple conspiracy theories.
Thanks for that post.