Wednesday, April 2, 2008

A Formal Apology

If anyone who follows this newborn blog was offended by my piece titled "Homeless People", I sincerely apologize. I perhaps took the problem of homelessness too lightly by associating it with phenomenological experiences I've connected together and creating an on-the-spot, somewhat tongue-in-cheek creative non-fiction piece. However, I do stand by my few experiences and opinions because I think they are empirically valid (insofar as I myself was offended).
To fix the homeless problem, and not just put a bandage on the wound, in America would be to completely readjust an American mind that has been corroded by advertising, consumerism, and political propaganda. Saying nothing of overpopulation, a true fix would mean a complete readjustment of our economic system, one that is more focused on community and mutual aid, not blind individualism and infinite waste. Like I said in the piece, homelessness is nothing in itself more than tragic and it warrants as much compassion as society can muster; it is, further, an indication of a greater problem in dire need of prompt solving. I don't believe any of the current political forerunners, who are spending billions of dollars each on campaigns paved with rhetoric and corporate funds, will or can make any of these changes. This tends to make me cynical. However, cynicism is not a persistent state, and again, if this piece came off as too cynical, I apologize, because I do not and have never despised homeless people categorically.
And I will say that living in the city should not lead us to not speak about homelessness, it should merely make the issue more acute and cause more discussion.

4 comments:

Alex Kotce said...

Mike-- I don't know if a formal apology was necessary. After all this is your thoughts on things that are happening around you. Like I said I was just taken aback by your presumptions on "bums". I mean people could argue this forever--but this isn't the forum. We are all friendly with each other and we should just put this in the past.

Alex

Ambiguous Q. Thunderwing said...

fair enough, but as the tone of your comment indicate it's a live issue, and i respect that completely, and if we as a group don't want to discuss the problem here, i completely understand. it's in the past, no hard feelings whatsoever.

Alex Kotce said...

cool, bud.

joshua francis said...

I thought Luz's post regarding his reactions to certain homeless people in Brooklyn was exceptionally insightful. I appreciate someone who deals with people like that on a daily basis taking the time to write honestly and thoughtfully about their experiences.

An apology by Mike is entirely unnecessary and even inappropriate. I hope more posts in this vein are forthcoming, both from him and from others.