Friday, April 4, 2008

Guilty Pleasures: The Albums

On my previous entry I posted five films that I enjoy (a lot) but in a world where cynacism is king, I have to hide my love for these true gems. I feel that sound is my main sensory trigger. I can pretty much pinpoint any time in my life by hearing a song, an album or even a certain artists voice. Here are five albums that shaped and molded me (and yes I still listen to these).

#5. The Get Up Kids- Something to Write Home About: An integral part of my early high school years and an important part of the popularization and eventual backlash of "emo" music, the Get Up Kids wrote some pretty damn catchy tunes. This is by far their strongest album. With comparissons to Weezer (I don't see it) these guys wrote pretty formulaic songs with smarter than your average emo-Joe lyrics. The album still remains in my I Tunes library.

#4. The Counting Crows- August and Everything After: The mid-90's was a tough time for popular music. The FM dials and MTV was flooded with post-grunge bullshit and a lot of corny rap. "Mr. Jones" was the single that made me (and millions of other assholes) buy this album. Yes I would like to punch Adam Duritz in his dreadlocked face but he does have a knack for writing a great pop song.

#3. The Wallflowers- Bringing Down the Horse: Bob who? I recently listened to this album on tape when my parents and I took a trip to see some relatives for Christmas. Everyone knows "One Headlight" but that hit single isn't even half of this underrated piece of work. While the album as a whole isn't "great" the entire first side and the first two tracks on side B are. Although the Wallflowers never really returned with anymore hit singles after this album was so popular, I don't feel all that bad, amazingly this record stands the test of time and I'm embarrassed to say, I LIKE IT.

#2. Boz Scaggs- Hits!: Until I saw a picture of Boz Scaggs when I was about 15 I finally realized two things: 1) He's not black and 2) He likes Miami Vice, a lot. Between this and every single thing Steely Dan ever recorded my mother subjected me to these all my childhood. Boz Scaggs is kind of an intersting guy, he grew up with Steve Miller and eventually went on to play on a few of his albums before making it as a solo sensation. Scaggs has soul, so don't hate.

#1. Various Artists- Lion King Soundtrack: I recieved this CD as a birthday present from a friend when I was in the third grade. The Lion King as a film blew me away. It remains my favorite Disney movie for a pleathora of reasons. I know every lyric on this album, sadly and I still own the original CD I recieved as a gift more than 13 years ago. Oh, Simba.

5 comments:

Ambiguous Q. Thunderwing said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ambiguous Q. Thunderwing said...

a few of mine:
STYX - The Grand Illusion (I've actually gotten over my guilt about liking this record. "come sail away" is only a piece of the puzzle)
Monster Magnet - Powertrip (same thing here...this was their attempt to go "commercial" and some purists don't like it so much, but i really love everything Monster Magnet)
The Offspring - Smash (it's nice to remember when blunt, heartfelt lyrics about the trials of being a kid in suburbia did not seem obnoxious...i of course used to love this record completely without guilt, but every time i listen to it now, maybe every two weeks, i can't help cringing at the lyrics)
Tantric - s/t (I actually don't own this anymore and can't imagine really liking it much anymore, but there was a point where I listened to it all the time and felt embarrassed even in my bedroom)
Blind Guardian - A Night At The Opera (I think I described this in high school to one of my burly shotput-hurling teammates as "majestic metal" and he couldn't stop laughing for a while)

and btw -
"Lido Shuffle" is one of my favorite songs ever, and that Wallflowers records is awesome. also, i think i spent a full year of my adolescence falling asleep to a cassette copy of the Lion Kink soundtrack.

Maureen Gillespie said...

I definitely just went to see Lion King on Broadway... those songs are as awesome as ever.

Tyler James said...

Good call with the Counting Crows. Late period Aerosmith does it for me. (Early Aerosmith is indisputable gold) When I hear "Living on the Edge" or "Janies Got A Gun" I can't help but sing along.

kevin romine said...

Aerosmith is great. I hated the song "Crazy" when it was big, but now I love it, as cheesy as it is.

But my all time guilty pleasure is Bryan Adams. "Cuts Like a Knife" always gets cranked up when it comes on the radio. Also the whole entire "Reckless" album, even though I haven't heard it in its entirety for years. "Its Only Love" and "Run To You" still sound great to me.