Friday, August 15, 2008

Performance Notes: Radiohead - Mansfield, MA / Aug. 13th 2008

Admittedly, it has been quite awhile since I've called Radiohead my favorite band, but thanks to a brilliant setlist and a physically inspired performance, I may have to rethink that. To me, Radiohead is still the only band from the last two decades that have the deserved swagger of a historically significant artist* (I regrettably was not around to see Nirvana play live) -- and seeing the agreement of the other 50,000 people there was enough to remind me of the potential enormous breadth of influence music has.



They played a really nice mix of new stuff (the entire In Rainbows record), classics, and a few really rare live tunes. Highlights for me were "Jigsaw Falling Into Place," "How to Dissapear Completely," "Exit Music," "Bodysnatchers" and "I Might Be Wrong."



I'm not entirely sure what has made me skeptical of Radiohead in the past few years. Maybe I've given in to the "anyone who has made it that big is somehow full of shit" opinion, but I've been unable to be legitimately moved by a Radiohead album since at least 2005. But after seeing them I think I've been turned back on to whatever it is that moved me about their music when I was in high school. I've also adopted a new fondness for the In Rainbows songs, one by one, especially "Reckoner."



On a side note, I think there is an unfair pressure on the concert-goer to have an incredible experience. I know I've fretted plenty of the times in the past in the middle of a sub-par show that I had been looking forward to. Everyone wants to make a live interaction with one of his or her favorite artists as memorable an experience as possible. Its unfortunate that that preoccupation has kind of hindered my experiences before.

Full Setlist and Live Report

* Impossible to disprove the subjectivity here, but I sincerely think this opinion is without agism or generational bias.

5 comments:

Ambiguous Q. Thunderwing said...

They are master aestheticists; they are still playing songs they wrote 10 to 15 years ago, night after night, to avid fans who know every word (something John Lennon wouldn't have been caught dead doing). In that sense, it is beyond a doubt escapism on the audience's part and both egoism (look how awesome I am!) and earning-a-living on the band's part. They are probably the most democratic band ever as the "name your price" digital release of In Rainbows as well as the three youtube videos you posted indicate. Rarely has a group of musicians both catered to pop escapism and inarguably clinged to artistic integrity so well. I think they are last dying breath of a grand civilization that outgrew itself way too quickly.

Tyler James said...

I've been reading a lot of interviews with them lately and they are undeniably aware, almost to the point of obsession, of the critical response to their music.

Contrast that to Pavement, or most American bands who would die before they let anyone know that they care about their critical reception.

Its refreshing, in a need-for-egomania's-drama, type way.

dave kutz said...

i fear i've missed my last chance to see them live. did they interact with fans at all during the show? which new song of in rainbows was the best live?

Tyler James said...

I'm sure they'll tour more. They interacted quite a bit. Thom was very energetic all night. 15 Step, Reckoner and Jigsaw were all great.

Christina Spinelli said...

I was there, too, on the lawn, just another face in the crowd.
A shame we didn't bump into each other.