Thursday, August 14, 2008

"Never put me in your box if your shit eats tapes"

Presently the highlight of my work day is the ten mile commute, which depending on traffic takes anywhere from fifteen to forty five minutes (yesterday an accident on the bridge into Newington stretched the ride home to almost ninety minutes). I've learned to pack an extra snack for the drive and I've been using the time to rediscover some old favorite albums.

This week's soundtrack:


Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid: Bob Dylan Soundtrack - If I could only take five Bob Dylan albums with me to a deserted island, PG&BtK wouldn't make the cut. Give me six and this shambling, ambient afterthought would be a lock. Three chord instrumentals bleed into three chord western fairy tales ad nauseam - multiple songs named "Billy" with only the slightest of variations - but the effect as a whole is oddly moving. Having seen the movie definitely improves the experience; every time I hear the opening of "Knocking on Heaven's Door," I see Slim Pickens, gut-shot and brokenhearted, staggering down to the river to die in his baby's arms and I get all choked up.

Key track: "Final Theme," woodwinds carry the melody and Dylan harmonizes a wordless, moaning eulogy for the dying West.




Illmatic - Nas - "Stop fucking around and be a man" advises the intro sample (from the graffiti film Wild Style) and stuck in traffic, pondering the wrinkles in my business casual attire, the grim existentialism of Illmatic resonates in a far different way than it was probably intended to. Illmatic stands head and shoulders over other hip hop classics in both lyrical and production consistency; the beats are uniformly forceful and Nas transitions seamlessly from documentary style street narratives to metaphysical musings. No skits, no bullshit dance tracks for MTV, just line after line of tough, thoughtful hip-hop.

Key Track: "Life's a Bitch," AZ and Nas trade verses about a world where "fuck who's the baddest/a person's status depends on salary."



What's in your car or on your headphones on the way to and from work?

7 comments:

Ambiguous Q. Thunderwing said...

Scott Walker, Tiny Tim, High On Fire

Maureen Gillespie said...

"69 Love Songs" - The Magnetic Fields

"The Letting Go" - Bonnie "Prince" Billy

"Electric Warrior" - T. Rex

Ms. Feldman said...

For some reason Blonde Redhead's "Misery Is A Butterfly" really worked for me whilst reading "Fathers And Sons" during the morning commute.

Other than that, I've been saving the following songs to play at some point in the hour long commute home:

1. "Everything Is Free Now" - Gillian Welch
2. "Everywhere" - Fleetwood Mac
3. "One Hand, One Heart" - West Side Story (strange because I don't really like musicals, but this song just kills me)

Courtney M. said...

couldn't help but comment:

care of cell 44 - the zombies
all the world is green - tom waits
dream baby dream - suicide
only you - yazoo

-- courtney

Christina Spinelli said...

Courtney, I usually listen to the Zombies pre-work as well.
or Debussy's 'Clair de Lune' if it's raining.

Field Trip Proposal:
The Harvard Film Archive is playing Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid on September 6th at 7pm. Double feature with Peckinpah's movie 'Straw Dogs'.
Yes?

joshua francis said...

Christina - very seriously considering the field trip proposal, but I need to check the time and date against my work schedule first.

and yesterday (friday) afternoon I made the switch from Illmatic to a motown box set. Sunny day and I had the ferocious desire to hear this Elgins song

dave kutz said...

the field trip sounds fantastic and as long as i don't have to work, i'm there. my commute music is a bizarre mix right now = eliot smith's catalogue / early R.E.M. / and an anthology of female vocalists from the 30's and 40's