Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Road Review: East-West Road

During the planning phase for a series of recent trips to southeastern Vermont, I consulted a map and discovered that, given the labyrinthine, semi-paved nature of the Vermont highway system, my navigational options were considerable. The obvious route, and the one recommended to me by my destination, was straight up Rt. 30/West River Rd. Readily accessible via other major highways and clearly marked in thick red crimson on the map, Rt. 30 seemed to promise smooth, expedient, riverside travel. My other main options were to stay to the eastern shore of the river on Rice Farm/Quarry Rd. or aim a little higher north and cut across on the thin red line of the practically named East-West Rd.

Intimidated by the jumble of side roads at the beginning of Rice Farm Rd., I chose the more direct looking East-West Rd and found little cause to regret my decision. For five, winding, reasonably well-paved miles, East-West provided a relaxing break from highway travel. With the specter of Interstate 91 and its monotonous vistas looming only a few miles to the east, I was able to appreciate the intimate confines of East-West Rd. While certainly not a scenic route, the heavily wooded country side imparts a cozy feel to the road and as I careened around the blind corners and down the steep grade, I was comforted by the thought that should I crash, I would at least die in the shade.

Unencumbered by the distractions of decent radio reception and the need to pay attention to anything beyond the immediate curves of the road, I thoroughly enjoyed my time on the East-West Rd. Given heavier traffic, the narrow lanes would have been cause for some anxiety but during a few trips to and fro on the East-West Rd., I only saw a handful of other vehicles and the occasional cyclist. The twisting turns and limited visibility mandated slow travel and the unexpected covered bridge marking the western end of the road left me with the sensation that I had just traveled through a tunnel.

While I wouldn't recommend East-West Rd. to anyone seeking an expedient route through southeastern Vermont, it's a charming little road of the type that should be driven at least occasionally, if only to break up the monotony of the region's less personable thoroughfares.

No comments: