Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Before we start ...

Browsing through an old notebook (early summer 07) I discovered some scrawled, early morning notes on what I consider to be the finest dream I've ever had:

I'm sitting in the lobby of a college dormitory. It's the first day of fall semester and students are checking in, moving boxes, nervously getting acquainted. I'm sitting with a friend (who?) watching the freshman and discussing which new friendships and relationships will last and which are destined to be forgotten by mid-semester.

The whole scene makes me very, very sad and I wander off by myself and sit on the tile floor. I continue watching the students move in and I notice a girl sitting on the opposite side of the lobby.

Just sitting. All moved in? Bored?


Long, unruly brown hair hides her face. I can only see her mouth; she half smiles and waves me over. I get up and walk towards her. We're both standing now and I reach up to touch her face. She stops my hand but keeps smiling (same half smile).



Then she says, "before we start, touch my lips and whisper 'cigarette'"


No comments: