Thursday, October 9, 2008

A Week Before Christmas

i.
I heard you went to church
that morning. And the rope

was it already noosed? knotted?
I didn't go to church that morning.

I stopped praying when I colored the Savior
black and blue in CCD, his heart gold,

a cold purple crown.

But you went to church early that day.
And I missed the morning.

You would miss the evening.
It will pour on Christmas.

ii.
I woke up late,
brunched at the Toast

because Harvey's was closed,
my sister and I, frustrated.

You were muttering. Perhaps
praying? You were silent.

Crying? There was silence.
I had eggs over-hard on toast.

I scraped my plate clean.
And you swung.

iii.
Your three daughters are shaking, Donna.
Last night, your eyes were closed like mine

and I saw them screaming, tearing
at their hair, their young faces crumpled,

torrents of tears.
Their fingers only fists.

It was desperate, Donna.
I turned in my sleep so many times last night.

There was nothing else I could do.
You lay in your silence

your last words held fast in a still heart.
Winter settled thickly about you.

3 comments:

joshua francis said...

Love the lines at the end of each section.

all of iii. is my favorite, I think you strike a solid balance between passion and simplicity.

I don't care for the lines "because Harveys was closed/my sister and I, frustrated." They read like a reason or in a poem that doesn't give any other justification, only facts and feelings.

Ms. Feldman said...

This poem was called "trite" by Prof. Monica Chiu and "perfect" by Prof. Charles Simic.

joshua francis said...

not a lot of middle ground there. what do you think about it?