Monday, March 31, 2008

Homeless People

One of the most interesting things I've noticed about living in a big city is the Homeless phenomenon, aka the "Bum" phenomenon. I don't mean people without homes, or people "in between" things; you can find these people just about anywhere. I mean the really, really, really odd, dirty, smelly, probably insane, possibly belligerent people that sleep between copies of The Onion and The New York Times outside of Dunkin' Donuts. Don't get me wrong; this is not Bumfights propaganda, nor is it a misanthropic rant. There are , in fact, many decent, dignified homeless people who humbly request that you help them out by quietly sitting beside a quaint cardboard sign (for all you who think this marriage of dignity and overt solicitation is a contradiction, lay off the late-period Nietzsche). That aside, the stinky, loud, nothing-to-lose crazies are the ones that fascinate me.
Just the other night, Jess and I were heading home from Greenwhich Village after a pleasant evening full of art and Indian food when we slowly became aware that one of "them" was on the train we were on. Having lived in the city for some time now, I've learned the art of avoiding "that" train car. As the train comes to a stop, you casually watch as the cars pass, noting the passenger density, gaging if you'll be able to get a seat or not. Then, you see a car that is half-empty. This train has a bum on it, so you avoid it. Sometimes, however, the trains are so busy you just can't tell, and you don't notice you're on a train with one of "them" until the doors are closed and you've opened your book. Anyway, this particular person, a man claiming to be a veteran, was walking up and down the car, shouting both coherent things, like "Easter Sunday!" and "It is better to give than to receive!", and incoherent things, like "Muthafuher" and "Take a plane!!!" He started on one side of the car and I was on the other. Eventually he made his way to my side and stationed himself diagonally across from me. I buried my nose deeper in Mann. He let loose a pair of thick loogies which made an ungodly sound on the soiled subway floor. He then resumed shouting and while he was jingling his panhandle, some coins bounced out. He marched forward to pick them up, bellowing to a kid in a pair of New Balances to "Move, Punk!" Once he had collected his lost coins, he left that side of the train feeling sufficiently guilty and marched to the other side, whereupon he threatened some female passengers thus: "I'm-a cut you up!" Not clear on the sincerity or really the direction of this threat, Jess and I switched cars at the next stop.
Another time Jess and I were walking down 5th Ave in Park Slope and we were passing a bank. A terribly loud, bulging, shabby, oldish woman with stringy brown hair and beady black eyes was hollering at people not to help her, but simply to give her money. As I walked passed, on cue, she yelled, "Give me some money." Slightly shaken by her hoarse, dire voice, Jess and I continued walking only to hear her yell, "88, feed me!" I was assuming she was talking to the guy in the Michael Irvin jersey, so I kept walking. To my surprise, I found myself terribly angry that this woman had the nerve to do what she was doing - that is, making people painfully aware of their advantages in life. Not only that, but of what they are wearing or how they look (she called me "Handsome"). Jess asked rhetorically why this woman wasn't outside a bank in the Upper West Side of Manhatten or some other area where there's a lot more wealth. I say rhetorical because the answer is readily obvious; someone would complain and she would be promptly removed. Then she would be dumped in Brooklyn, where she can solicit freely because a.) no one has enough free mental space to care enough that someone is yelling at them and b.) the police have far more important things to do - like gangbusting and prostitute-ring-ousting - than to remove an obnoxious beggar. How is it that this person exists? Is she just crazy? Or is it a symptom of a much larger problem?
Between these two encounters, I've come to a loose, metaphoric conclusion. You know how when you make sugar cookies, you roll out the dough, and then you use various shapes to cut out your cookies? Well, people like me or you or the businessman on 6th or the hooligan on Franklin are all defined shapes. The "others" or, for the lack of a more accurate term, bums, are the extra dough that isn't quite a shape. It has potential to be made back into a shape, but there's always a shapeless remainder. Insofar as this makes any sense, these people become foils, or mirrors. They show us what is wrong with the whole baking process, and I don't blame them for hating me for not giving them money.
Perhaps I've been too hard on these people. Perhaps they have severe mental problems and are really just tragically out of touch with reality and I should be sad that no one has been able to or chosen to help them in the necessary ways. I believe this could be the case. But then I think of this other homeless man I've seen several times all over the city who pushes around a shopping cart full of his effects. Dressed like an urban monk of some kind, he curls up on two-seaters beside car-to-car passageways with his cart parked by his side. Swilling an unlabeled two-liter bottle, he doesn't say anything, and doesn't smell. He settles in and closes his eyes. As far as I'm concerned, either this man is nuts, or he knows something I've yet to learn.

8 comments:

joshua francis said...

I believe it was you who raised the point to me (perhaps in conversation or in your thesis?)that the insane are the only people who are genuinely themselves all the time. It makes me wonder whether the people who you have described here are homeless as a result of social misfortune and circumstance or inevitability. That said, I find your photo choice of Michael Irvin to be an inspired one.

Also, I spend my mornings lately reading magazines in the public library and chanced across a Newsweek article about how homeless people taking refuge in public libraries has become an issue. Library systems across the country have taken steps to curtail drug use, masturbation, and "fouling of the grounds;" in Portland, shaving in the sink results in a one day ban.

joshua francis said...

and I also learned in a New Yorker article about phasing out the penny that if you take more than 6.15 seconds to break stride and pick up a penny you are making less than the federal minimum wage. How much per hour do you think the average panhandler might pull?

Ambiguous Q. Thunderwing said...

regarding your first point:
the point of that argument really ultimately represents the overall point of authenticity being in actuality founded on irony, i.e. the romaticization of the insane as authentic beings is really just a lament about the Fall, or the division of pure unreflective Being that theoretically "ocurred" at some point when humans started saying "I", or some such nonsense

regarding the second point:
there's a Simpson episode that addresses the income of a panhandler. considering the fact that tv has never steered me wrong i'm inclined to say, "mad bank."

ps - i'll think twice about shaving or wanking in libraries.

Ms. Feldman said...

I would like to add that the crazy on the train sang a rousing "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" as he stormed from our end of the train to the other. In the duration of our train time with him, he also voiced issues he had with Easter (which had the weekend before), "FUCK EASTER. GOD."

Alex Kotce said...

I don't want to be a dick here, Mike, but this is your first time living in a city, right? Now my brother works for a homeless shelter in Pasadena, CA called Passageways. Yes there are "crazy" homeless people that beg for your money, yes they sometimes scream at you. Your sugar cookie metaphor just doesn't make any sense to me. These people were NOT born homeless nor did the make a decision on their own to be homeless. The majority of these people are people with pasts. They fucked up their life. They had a family, the family left them, he/she lost their jobs, etc.
etc. I understand that you are fascinated by this whole homeless phenomenon but guess what it's fucking everywhere.

The homeless population in America is growing in part to Hurricane Katrina and the current housing market. This problem will keep increasing until our federal government stops funding a stupid war and fixes our infrastructure.

I don't think you can philosophize "the homeless phenomenon" because there are so many different types of homeless people. You live in Brooklyn, so get used to it.

Again I don't want to be a dick but I did find this essay pretty fucking offensive and I thought you had more of an open mind than to write about something else in New York besides its obvious homeless population.

Ambiguous Q. Thunderwing said...

an open mind? i hope anyone with an open mind who read this could see that my post is clearly a critique of society, not an indictment of bums...it's a phenomenological study concerning the reality that, yes, there are homeless people, and yes, they are all different, and yes, some homeless people are hostile and or stand out for various reasons. you would see this if you live in the city. if you've lived in, say, brooklyn, you'd see that everyone, "true city dwellers" included, avoid or spurn smelly and/or hostile people who beg for money (i stress the adjectives, it IS NOT homelessness in itself that is repellant). you can also create subcategories, not only for the sake of creative non-fiction, but to make sociological points. homeless people are CLEARLY a symptom of a much greater problem...what's wrong with the whole baking process? how do capitalist economics as the presupposed, primary driving force behind society in and of itself fuck everyone over? that's why we're in Iraq, that's why Katrina was a disaster. It's economics, not some sad-sap story about how people fuck up their lives. Just because you fuck up your life doesn't license you to threaten people. it also should not preclude people who presumably haven't fucked up their lives to have an opinion about how they conduct themselves in light of their past. i'm very sorry you didn't get my metaphor man. it sounds like you took my post the complete wrong way, and i'm sorry that you were offended.

joshua francis said...

I really can't say enough in support of this post. I think it speaks for itself and though shouldn't need any defense Mike does so more than adequately in the above comment.

Any changes in the content or direction of the post would be dishonest and condescending both to the subjects and to the readers.

I think calling this post 'fucking offensive' is out of line.

Tyler James said...

An interesting critique on the mind of the homeless. I think its also a critique, (correct me if I'm wrong), on the romanticization on the poor, downtrodden, disadvantaged as authentic beings.

Hurricane Katrina was devastating, but not enough to alter the idea of how to access homelessness on a fundamental, national level.
And I think the problem is a little more complex than blaming it on Iraq -- people have escaped homelessness without government intervention.

I will admit to jumping to make legendary some random axiom from a homeless person. Its a mindset I can't grasp.

POINT: Michael Irvin pic is eerily germane.