Monday, November 3, 2008

(o)(o)(o)(o) donuts

I really like donuts. A good many hours of my life have been devoted to donuts. In fact, this very morning I had two donuts.

I think the best donut I ever had was in Berkeley California, on Telegraph Ave, at a place called King Pin Donuts. It's one of the two street side stores that bookends a U-shaped indent of eateries. If I recall correctly the rest of the establishments specialize in Asain delicacies. It was something of an odd experience to eat a hot and sticky glazed donut next to a guy that was downing sushi with chopsticks. These are incredibly good. If you live within a 3 day drive you should probably get the rest of the week off and go now.

Don't think that Boston and New England are without respectable donut shops. I once fell for that. I thought we were doomed to eating those rock hard O shaped carboard pastries from Dunkin Donuts. This isn't the case. Just today I went to Mike's Donuts on Tremont Street in Mission Hill. This place is good. There's a tale that they make all the donuts they are going to sell each day in the morning and once they sell out they close down. I've never asked to verify the truth of the story but I like it.

Also over in Cambridge, just beyond Porter Square on Mass Ave there's a great place called Vierna's. It's another simple shop, as I think all donut places should be. (My personal philosophy is that all a store needs is coffee, donuts and napkins)

For those of you in New Hampshire, you're out of luck for the time being, until next spring, but there are really good donuts at the Portsmouth Farmer's Market on Saturday mornings when the weather is warm. One of the tents has apple cider donuts that are amazing. They're soft and bouncy. I recommend them with some Cafe Kilim coffee.

Well that's it.

5 comments:

joshua francis said...

fave donut: chocolate butternut

bob barry said...

where do you find those?

i forgot to mention that harvey's bakery in dover has what appears to be homemade donuts as well.

joshua francis said...

Dunkin Donuts. Definitely not a donut connoisseur. I have five, maybe six, a year and it's almost always one of those.

Tyler James said...

Gentleman: Did you know that recently DD eliminated all Trans Fats from their donuts? Mike Luz told me that.

joshua francis said...

has this changed the taste at all?