Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Day 15

Beachcombing at Low Tide

Though I spent the first two weeks daunted by the crashing waves and briney surf, today I have sallied forth to comb the beach I now inhabit. The ocean had many wonders to share with me:


A. The shell of a Moon Snail, also known by its hideous scientific name, Naticidae.

B. A Strata Tour Professional golf ball marketed by Sports, Inc. Though I cannot prove it, I believe one of my rich neighbors was trying to chip this item into my ear canal.

C. A well-beaten mollusk shell. I believe it to have originally been that of a mussel.

D. A deteriorating yet spectacularly colored lobster claw...?

E. A beautifully iridescent piece of a seashell. I believe it to have originally been that of a clam or a mussel.

F. A really neat rock!

The moon was exceptionally big and beautiful tonight:

3 comments:

Christina Spinelli said...

AWESOME POST!
did you take that first picture?
this is so cool.
thanks, mike.

Ambiguous Q. Thunderwing said...

i did take that picture and i did actually find all those items while beachcombing. i could pour over piles of ocean detritus for days!

dave kutz said...

yes, very enjoyable