Tuesday, June 17, 2008

No one belongs here more than you


So I am going to be in California for a little longer than expected and so I'm glad I picked up a few books. I am in the middle of reading a series of short stories by filmmaker, performance artist, and author Miranda July. This is her second published set of shorts and her debut solo authorship. The other book, Learning to Love You More was coauthored with Harrell Fletcher. July's stories are quirky to say the least and range in context from sexual encounters to the odd scenario of elderly women getting swimming lessons in a narrators kitchen. No One Belongs Here More Than You was the recipient of the 2007 Frank O'Connor International Short Story Award. Light in drama but extremely heavy in originality July's collection of short stories are really very beautiful and will leave you both semi-confused as well as laughing out loud. And, in quoting an Entertainment Weekly review of this collection: "Who will Miranda July's work appeal to? To borrow the name of her lovely first film, Me and You and Everyone We Know."

Here is a link to the website for this book, it's really kind of neat and wonderful: No one belongs here more than you. stories by Miranda July

4 comments:

Alex Kotce said...

Christina Spinelli if you read this---I think she is just a 34 year old you. I never really picked up on it when I saw her film, but reading this book it's quite a striking character coincidence.

Ms. Feldman said...

I'll definitely check this out because I really liked the quirky "Me and You and Everyone We Know."

Christina Spinelli said...

I read the book last summer. Fucking best new book out there. Alex, it's an honor that you would say that, I certainly do admire Miranda July a lot. That ghost sex story is hilarious.

Alex Kotce said...

You are welcome, Christina. This book really is one of the most thoroughly enjoyable collection of shorts I've ever read.